Are you thinking about getting a jet ski but worried about the weight of the craft? Will your truck be able to pull it? Will you need a new boat lift?
I’ve gone through all the current weights from every jet ski manufacturer. I’ve calculated the lowest, highest and average weights.
I even cover why knowing the weight of your watercraft is so important and what factors it affects.
How Much Does a Jet Ski Weigh?
To start off, a jet ski weighs between 375 and 1,089 pounds. The average weight is 732 pounds.
The advertised weight of a unit doesn’t always include fuel, gear, and other items that go along with a fully ready PWC. You also need to keep in mind the weight of the trailer if you’re pulling them with your truck.
The Sea-Doo, Yamaha and Kawasaki Weight Chart
|Spark 2UP 60HP
|Spark 2UP 90HP Convenience
|Spark 3UP 90HP
|Spark 3UP 90HP Convenience
|GTI SE 130
|GTI SE 170
|VX CRUISER HO
|FISH PRO SCOUT
|VX LIMITED HO
|WAKE PRO 230
|FX CRUISER HO
|GTX Limited 300
|FISH PRO SPORT
|Explorer Pro 170
|FX CRUISER SVHO
|FX LIMITED SVHO
|FISH PRO TROPHY
To see more info from each manufacturer…
If you’re looking for the max capacity and limit, then this post will help.
How Much Does a 3-Seater Weigh?
The weight-range of a 3-seater ranges from 425 to 1,100 pounds.
A 3 person, or a 3-seater PWC, is the most common seating capacity, with a 2-seater next. There were a few watercraft that had 4 person capacity, but they’re rare to see these days. You also have 1 person capacity, but mostly on standup jet skis.
How Much Does a 2-Seater Weigh?
The weight-range of a 2-seater ranges from 375 to 800 pounds.
A 2-seater is less common, mostly lower-end and racing watercraft have a 2 seater capacity.
How Much Does Two Jet Skis Weigh? And Trailer?
The average-weight of one is about 750 pounds, so two would be 1,500 pounds.
Two of the lightest jet skis could vary from 500 pounds up to 1,000 pounds.
The heaviest of jet skis, if you had two of them, would be around 2,200 pounds.
This information is important if you intend to get a trailer or lifts for your watercraft. A two-place trailer can add an extra 600 pounds on top of those figures, which is important to know for a tow vehicle.
Why Is The Weight So Important?
It’s not always obvious why the weight of a waverunner, its trailer, or both is so important.
Below, I’ve listed why PWC and trailer weight is so important.
- Truck capacity – Your tow vehicle has a rated capacity that it can haul and stop safely. It’s important you know this number and take into consideration not only the PWC weight, but also its trailer along with any gear, too.
- Lift capacity – If you keep your PWC on a drive-up lift or hoist, you will need to know how heavy it is to use the lift properly. Lifts come in different sizes and rated for different capacity, so it’s important you get one rated for your jet ski.
- Don’t overload your trailer – A watercraft trailer can only hold so much weight. It’s not only the weight of the craft, but all the gear and fuel you carry needs to be considered.
- Don’t over load your jetski – You don’t want to overload your jetski weight capacity, as covered here.
- Fuel efficiency – The heaviness of the machine can impact its fuel efficiency. Heavier jet skis will require more power to propel through the water, resulting in increased fuel consumption. Understanding the weight allows you to make informed decisions regarding fueling and plan accordingly for longer rides. It can also affect the fuel efficiency of your tow vehicle too.
- Safety Considerations – Proper weight-distribution is crucial for safe towing. Understanding the weight of your PWC and trailer helps ensure that you distribute the load evenly, maintaining stability and reducing the risk of accidents or trailer sway during transportation.
- Maintenance and Repairs – Knowing the weight of your waverunner and trailer is essential for proper maintenance and repairs. It allows you to know what is the proper tire and axle that is rated for the weight of your trailer.
- Laws and regulations – Trailers in some places around the world require brakes after a certain weight capacity. So, knowing the weight of your ski and gear will play a role in what trailer you can buy.
The weight of the PWC needs to be known for things like lifts, such as the one in the video below:
What Is Curb Weight?
Curb weight means the total weight of a jet ski with standard equipment, all necessary operating consumables (e.g., oil and coolant), a full tank of fuel, while not loaded with either passengers or cargo.
Dry-weight is also used by some manufacturers to refer to the weight of a jet ski without fuel, oil and other operational fluids. It also doesn’t include the driver or gear weight either.
In my charts, I use dry weight, as that is what most manufacturers use.
Curb weight is more accurate, but leads to higher measurements being shown.
Kawasaki is more likely to use curb weight, while Sea-Doo and Yamaha are more likely to use dry weight. To get a more fair weight, subtract 100 pounds from Kawasaki to get an estimated dry weight. When you do that, the weight is not too much greater, but overall, Kawasaki jet skis do tend to weigh more.
The Variety Of Trailer Weights
Listed below is the weight of each type of jet ski trailer.
- Single (One Jet Ski) – 150 to 300 pounds.
- Double (Two Jet Skis) – 300 to 600 pounds.
- 4-Place (Four Jet Skis) – About 1,200 pounds.
The Carrying Capacity Weights
Listed below is the total weight a PWC trailer can carry, including the gear, fuel, and the unit itself.
- Single – One, around 1,800 pounds total.
- Double – Two, a combined of 2,000 to 3,000 pounds.
- 4-Place – Four, a combined 4,200 pounds.
The Dimensions Of Trailers
If you’re storing your jet skis on a trailer in a garage or storage unit, you’ll need to know the dimensions that I cover here.
Tip: If you're going to get a trailer and have the option of a Triton Aluminum Trailer, then get it. Sea-Doo, Karavan, and many others make trailers, and they work just fine. But I always have the best luck with Triton Trailers. I find that the Aluminum trailers like the Triton's are lighter and hold up better to rust.